Applications for the 2022 Children’s Health Foundation Women’s Institute Bursary are now open. Applications are due March 31, 2022
The Women’s Institutes throughout British Columbia were instrumental in establishing the Queen Alexandra Solarium in 1927, and they have maintained a close relationship with the organization, now called Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island.
The Women’s Institutes assistance to children with health challenges and disabilities through Children’s Health Foundation has taken many forms. Their bursary program and generous donations continue the WI tradition of caring for children to ensure their healthy development.
The Children’s Health Foundation Women’s Institute Bursary is funded by an annual donation from the Women’s Institute. The interest on this donation is available as a bursary (up to $2,000 per year) to staff members at the Queen Alexandra Centre for Children who provide services to children and who are advancing their knowledge in the care of children through continuing education. Bursaries are awarded every April in support of tuition fees or text books.
Applications for the bursary are reviewed by a Selection Committee, comprised of the following:
- two appointees from a local Women’s Institute;
- a representative from Island Health who provides services to the Child, Youth and Family Health portfolio;
- a representative from Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island.
Applications to the bursary must be received no later than March 31.
- Successful applicants must be staff members who provide services to children at one of the Queen Alexandra Centre buildings (Pearkes, Fisher, Ledger House, Queen Alexandra).
- Successful applicants must be pursuing a course of study related to pediatrics or family care.
- Priority for bursary funding will be given to those who have not received the Children’s Health Foundation Women’s Institute Bursary in the past.
- Courses or training that will be completed before the end of April are not eligible for funding.
- The bursary is not available for day workshops, day seminars, or conferences of any length.
Your application to the Children’s Health Foundation Women’s Institute Bursary consists of:
- Online application form
- Endorsement form
Online Application Form
The online application form consists of five sections:
- Section A—Applicant Information
- Section B—Course Information
- Section C—Statement of Goals (500 to 1000 words)
- Section D—Volunteer Experience
- Section E—Endorsement Form
Once you begin the application process, you cannot save your work—please make sure you have all the necessary information on hand before you start. You will have the chance to review your answers before submitting.
Applicants must submit a course brochure and proof of acceptance/registration. Both files may be uploaded in the Online Application, or they may be submitted in hardcopy. The application is not considered completed until these have been received.
Please submit hard copies to:
Women’s Institute Bursary
Children’s Health Foundation of Vancouver Island
345 Wale Rd
Victoria BC V9B 6X2
Statement of Goals
Applicants must submit a 500 to 1000 word statement reflecting on personal and professional goals as related to the course of study they are undertaking. There is a place in the Online Application to upload the statement in Word or pdf format.
Applicants must submit an Endorsement Form, completed by their supervisor, director, or administrator. The application is not considered completed until the Endorsement Form has been received.
Please submit the completed form to:
firstname.lastname@example.org or Aidan Johnston
Subject line: Women’s Institute Bursary
The application deadline for the Children’s Health Foundation Women’s Institute Bursary is March 31. Accompanying materials must be received by that date in order to be considered for this bursary.
Applicants will be notified in writing by the end of April.
Whom should I contact for help?
Aidan Johnston, Fund Development Coordinator
250-940-4950 ext 106 | email@example.com
- Complete online application form
- Provide social insurance number
- Submit course brochure
- Submit proof of acceptance/registration
- Submit Endorsement Form