COVID-19 news and updates
To help Island families navigate through these difficult and uncertain times, we have compiled a list of tips and resources from trusted sources to help you stay informed.
The Foundation continues to rely on the expertise of our local, provincial, and federal health authorities for updates on COVID-19.
As we have entered Phase two of BC’s Restart Plan, the Foundation is following the protocols established by WorkSafe BC and has established a set of protocols that we feel confident that will make the transmission of COVID-19 at the Children’s Health Foundation unlikely at this time. Read about our Return to Work guidelines here.
Information on COVID-19 is changing every day. Stay up-to-date on the latest news by checking this page or by signing up to receive our emails!
Please note that we will continue to monitor and update this list as new information becomes available.
Mental health resources
Check out these Island-based resources to help support your families’ mental health during this time of uncertainty.
- Our community partner, Foundry BC, is a leader in British Columbia with mental health support tools
- Island Health offers services for mental health and substance-related resources
- Our new blog series, Ask the Expert provides insight from experts in child health. Dr. Jillian Roberts, founder of Family Sparks provides many tips and tricks for managing your mental health amidst the outbreak
- Wellness Together Canada is providing many free online tools for both immediate support and strategies to get through this outbreak together
- Government of British Columbia is offering Virtual Mental Health support for all
- A guide about guarding mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you are seeking ways to get involved in supporting the COVID-19 response, refer to the links below for ways you can help.
- Support Island Health wide initiatives and donations
- Register to be matched with a senior in your community with BC211
Following the protocols listed above is a step in the right direction when it comes to reducing the spread of COVID-19. Here are a few additional resources.
- HealthLink BC’s COVID-19 on the worldwide outbreak and how British Columbia is taking steps to contain the spread of the virus
- Check the BCCDC website for the latest preventative measures on how you can protect yourself and our communities
- Daily updates from the Province of British Columbia’s COVID-19 response
- Island urgent and primary care centres for families to access to keep their loved-ones safe
- First Nations Health Authority has created a web portal for COVID-19 related information to keep one another safe through these times
COVID-19 related stories and news
Read more about our COVID-19 updates. Be sure to follow our ‘Ask the Expert’ blog series to learn healthy tips and gain expert advice on best practices related to COVID-19.
During these unprecedented times, we are committed to staying strong together to keep our Island families safe. Read on to learn how the Foundation is responding to this global pandemic.
We are participating in #GivingTuesdayNow – a new global day of giving and unity taking place on May 5, 2020, as an emergency response to the unprecedented need caused by COVID-19. Find out more!
Follow us on social media to stay up-to-date!
Do your part to help slow the spread of COVID-19 by following these social distancing protocols to help flatten the curve:
- Wash your hands frequently
- Avoid touching your face
- Cover coughs and sneezes
- Keep at least two metres apart from others when outside the home
- Cancel gatherings of more than 50 people
- Stay at home and away from others if you feel ill
- Self-isolate for 14 days if you have been traveling or have been exposed to the virus
Have a question for us?
Send us your questions by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org